Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lessons


When Jacob was on his mission, his mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. For him, it was sort of a strange experience, because he stayed on his mission, and most of the cancer experience was over by the time he got home. It wasn't as bad as it could be, and Kristi's been in remission for 2 or 3 years now.

I've been thinking about something she said she learned from her cancer, and that was to take things one day at a time. Jacob recently pointed out that I have a tendency to decide an outcome before it happens, and upon reflection, I was startled to discover that he was right. And that I was limiting myself and sorrowing and fearing a lot more than I would be otherwise because of it.

So I want to take things one day at a time. I'm still all for time management...I'll still plan my weeks and make to-do lists when needed. But the big picture demands a surrender to whatever happens. And a joy in that surrender. A "saying yes to your universe" as Jacob and I have begun to say.

I might not be on that cast list. The bills might be higher than we budgeted for. The weather might be colder than I wanted. Trips to see friends might not happen, and people may move away. But in the grand scheme of things, it will be all right.

I'll just take it one day at a time.

5 comments:

kate said...

This post is beautiful. But I want to take a second to say...

What? Really? Your not on the cast list? I am both shocked and dissapointed... truly. I was so hoping to see you as The Drowsy herself...dang.

Liz said...

Kate, thank you for your belief in me. I've been having a hard time believing in my own talent lately, and your words uplift and comfort and humble me.

You too, are a tremendously talented individual. I hope we get to share the stage together someday, somehow. =)

Carrie Lynn said...

I like you.

Anonymous said...

From one planner to another, so glad you are hearing the message to enjoy the moment while you are half my age! I was just thinking about the same thing earlier this year ... when I'm on vacation, I'm thinking ahead to what will we have for our next meal, what should we do tomorrow ... the problem is that my work demands that I plan ahead, or I'm in deep doodoo. The trick is to know when to plan, and when to stop and enjoy. I hope you can find that balance! Love you!

Mom
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

word verification: psychine - a french-female-muse-psychologist.

Petey said...

"Yes" to our universe. I'm glad we share it.