Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Things Student Teaching Will Teach You





I've been doing my student teaching for a little over a month now, and I love it. I won't talk much about it here--respecting student privacy and all that--but there are a few key things I've learned that are worth sharing. 


1. Professional clothes take a little getting used to. If you're usually a jeans/t-shirt/cardigan type, like me.
2. You really do have to give instructions like, three times.
3. The ancient Romans were SERIOUSLY messed up people. I mean, brilliant, but...bloody.
4. Your bladder is stronger than you think.





Addendum: 
Several readers and family members have asked if I could share some of my experiences as a student teacher here on this blog, similar to the way I shared experiences as a Primary teacher. The sad answer is "no." In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have even posted the Primary kid stories without the permission of their parents. But I wasn't in a legally binding situation then. As a student teacher in a public school, I'm legally obligated and under contract (both with the school district and with BYU-Idaho) to respect student privacy, and by sharing stories in a public forum like this blog, I would be putting my teaching certification at risk. But even legal obligations aside, I'm becoming more and more aware of the power of the internet, and am becoming more careful about what I choose to publish. I've come to respect each of the students I work with enough to not want to publish stories about them. I am keeping a private journal of my experiences, so they are recorded, but sharing them in this forum is something I'll be avoiding.

4 comments:

Deana Chadwell said...

Hilarious. And you must be doing very well if you only have to give instructions 3 times. Bravo. I love the idea of you teaching. Enjoy. dc

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute ... if you can post about your Primary adventures using pseudonyms (did I spell that right?), can't you post about your Student Teaching adventures?! I would love to hear about them!

XOXOXOXO

a said...

hahahaha, good luck to you on this journey, teaching is really a noble thing to do. I hope i can be able to do it one day
P.S : i love your blog <3

Unknown said...

Very nice blog
I like everything
ranging from the theme to the content as well