Friday, March 05, 2010

"To my embarrassment, I was born in bed with a lady." --Wilson Mizner

Here's a relatively new revelation: Bedding for anything but a twin size bed is absurdly expensive. Don't ask me why. But preparing to enter the world of "marital bedding" (that sounds so inappropriate), I don't want to pay $75 for a full bedding set, but I don't want to be sleeping in canvas. So I've been doing some online searches to find clearance deals. I was looking for something kind of like this, only not so...glossy? India-inspired, but not in-your-face brocade kind of thing.



But I kept getting distracted by horrendous things like this:



Or this:



I guess I shouldn't say "horrendous." It's just a matter of opinion. But I find much of this offensive to mine eyes, and would shame to sleep in a bed so be-decked. Or be-antlered.



And in honor of Jacob being from Texas (long live the Confederacy! Wait...I'm a Democrat...wait...?):



This one is my favorite of the ugly ones. This is sold under the moniker "Shark Frenzy." Doesn't it remind you of the 1990's?



And then there were super-cool things like this:



Or this! Sleep = fun.



And here's a gem for the geeky at heart. We don't have the cash for any of these super-awesome bedspreads, but they're awesome.



And check this one out! How rad is THAT? One day when Jacob and I are both rich from our public school salaries, we'll have awesome bedding like this to hip-i-fy our room:



But in the end, I found the perfect bedding for the perfect price not online, but in a store. Today while running errands, I decided to dash into Kmart for a pack of gum (it was needed desperately, and Kmart was RIGHT THERE). We'd been keeping our eyes peeled for something cheap that we'd like, but hadn't had much luck. Before I grabbed my desperately needed pack of gum, I decided to saunter through the bed and bath section, just to look around. And there on the clearance rack, for $30, including 2 fitted sheets, 2 flat sheets, 4 pillowcases, and one comforter, was this:



The picture doesn't do it much justice, but it's PERFECT. Soft and comfy, cheap, the right size, and the perfect pattern. I even have a lamp that matches it already! I bought it (without consulting my soon-to-be-husband), and brought it home. But when I showed it to him, he was just as excited as I was. We celebrated the find by opening the bag and wrapping ourselves in the comforter on the living room floor. I'm glad I stepped into that Kmart.

4 comments:

Petey said...

I love all of these bedspreads! We'll have to have an equal number of kids as an excuse to own them all.

Jacqueline Francis said...

CUUUUUTE! thats happy. i know how frustrating that is....

brandilyn said...

i did the most unattractive snort of laughter when i saw the ed hardy set LOL. i love the one you picked out!! it's so classy and pretty and just the right amount of indian! i'm so excited for you guys to be married, but enjoy being engaged, too (as much as curfew suck suck SUCKS)!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had no idea that hunting for bedding could inspire such laughter and horror. I've been shower curtain hunting, and it's nowhere near as fun.

Enjoy planning for your home together ... it's so much fun, isn't it?

Love you!

Mom
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO