Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Tech Week


It's a little after midnight, and I'm not even sure why I'm writing this blog entry. Maybe I need the post-rehearsal "decompression" time or something. All I know is that I have enough energy to write a blog entry (while eating an entire kaiser roll, plain), but not enough energy to clean my house.

Having done tech weeks as both an actor and as a technician, I will say that they are WAY more work for the technicians. It's a hard week for EVERYONE, just because everything about it takes a lot of energy. But I still feel kinda bad using tech week as an excuse to not do anything else, when I'm an actor.

Here are the things that I have NOT done this week, and which I anticipate will remain undone until Saturday or so:

1. The dishes. I've started using Tupperware for bowls (and their lids as plates). We're going to run out of clean Tupperware soon, though.

2. Put away the laundry. I did DO the laundry. But I think it will probably live in the laundry basket in the living room for a few more days.

3. Cleaned the bathroom. That needs to be done soon.

4. Made any kind of decent meal for myself or anyone else. Unless you count the fried egg sandwich I made the other day, which I ate off a Tupperware lid.

5. Dusted. Vacuumed. Swept.

6. Gone to bed at a decent hour.

The really ridiculous thing is that Jacob and I have managed to watch almost an entire season of 30 Rock in the last few days or so.

So the reality is that I totally HAVE time to do all this stuff, I'm just not doing it. But it's TECH WEEK! So I just keep telling myself that I'm "too tired" and "too busy" to do all that stuff. And the other reality is this: I love tech week just because I love what I do. I love acting, and getting into costumes, and doing mic checks, and having private dance parties backstage, and touching up lipstick. I love seeing a show come to life as each layer of tech is added. Yes, it's exhausting. Yes, it can be frustrating. Yes, it's hard to keep track of last-minute changes. But I'm so grateful to be a part of this. I'm so grateful that this is my JOB, and this is what I get to do, and this is who I get to be. The cast and crew of "Damn Yankees" are all so amazing, and I'm so excited to share what we've created with others.

Dressing room selfie. I love my job. 

No comments: