Friday, October 25, 2013

Hiatus for NaNoWriMo

The blog has been a little on the quiet side lately. I've been getting ready to open "Dancing at Lughnasa," and any free time I have has been spent watching Ancient Aliens or hanging out with family.

But the blog will probably be pretty quiet for the next month or so, because most of my writing energies will be put into NaNoWriMo! NaNoWriMo stands for "National Novel Writing Month." Every November, thousands of people commit to writing a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. It's a sort of seat-of-your-pants approach to creative writing...the idea is that most of the people who say they want to write a novel never actually do. NaNoWriMo is the chance to just sit down and pound out that novel. Even if it's rubbish. Because you can take 50,000 words of rubbish and turn it into a novel, and it's easier to do that than make a novel out of nothing. 50,000 words isn't too long...about the length of "The Great Gatsby" or "As I Lay Dying."

My Kirby memoir was a NaNoWriMo project, even though I didn't make it to 50,000 words, nor did I make the deadline. But it never would have gotten done at all if it weren't for NaNoWriMo.

So, for the month of November, I will be writing approximately 1700 words per day. At the end of it, I'll have a rough draft of a young adult novel, tentatively called, "Driving Through Constellations." You can keep track of my progress here.

Are you doing NaNoWriMo? Be my writing buddy! I go by "lizanator" in the NaNoWriMo world.

Happy November!

1 comment:

A said...

Will we get to hear what the concept/story is for this YA novel at some point?