Saturday, November 17, 2012

It's evolution, baby

So I've got this great post forthcoming about my sister's ability to make CRAZY faces in photos, but it's taking a while to put together. So in the meantime, enjoy this series of alarming pictures that highlight the earth's flora, fauna, and phenomena. You may alternate between horror and amazement over the next few seconds.

First of all, doesn't this look like a water dragon?


Well, it's not a water dragon. It's an octopus consuming a seagull.

 And speaking of ocean life, this is what shark scales look like under a microscope:


I think they look like space ships. Made by aliens. Who also make underwater crop circles! J/K, these are made by a Japanese puffer fish:


And speaking of fish, check out the Sarcastic Fringehead!


RAWR! Apparently, these guys are very territorial. (And they also have one of the coolest names ever.)

AND speaking of "territorial," cat got your tongue, or is it Cymothoa exigua? These parasites destroy the tongues of fish and replace them with...well, themselves. 


Doesn't he look smug? Also note the terrifyingly human-like teeth the fish possesses. But he's not the only one. Meet the pacu fish!


But I guess teeth are still kinda scary in humans too. Like when you examine a child's skull before they lose their baby teeth:


But the human body is not all scary! See, look at this high definition super close up of a human eye:


Cool, huh? Oh, and hey, here's what your nervous system looks like:



So after doing this post, I'm realizing that 6 out of the 9 pictures are from the ocean. Apparently, the ocean is freaking awesome. And terrifying. And awesome.

And I tell you what, if there were more fish with names like "sarcastic fringehead," I might MOVE to the ocean.

3 comments:

Carrie Lynn said...

I hated this and I hated that I couldn't stop looking at it. It's like how I feel about BBC's Planet Earth

Unknown said...

That tongue eating parasite is the worst thing I've ever seen and I will now have nightmares of my tongue being eaten. Thanks a whole fricking lot.

ace maxs said...

really nice post, i like it