Friday, May 04, 2012

Better and better


Hey, Rexburg locals.

I dunno if you've noticed that little ad over there to the right. The one that says "Argentine"?

Well, that event is tonight.

But it's not just gonna be a freaking awesome night of steampunk rock opera radical-ness. I mean, it WILL be that, but there's even more awesomeness than you may have initially assumed. Here's why:

1. The Rexburg Family Crisis Center is a big part of this. They're gonna be holding raffles, giving out t-shirts, and generally raising the good voice on behalf of those whose voices have been silenced. The message of Argentine is one of hope for those (especially women) who are in situations of neglect, violence, and abuse. Coming to the show tonight will help support the Family Crisis Center and everything they're doing.

2. Garrett Sherwood is starting out the night with some poetry. Have you heard of this guy? He's kind of amazing. He's got a book of his poetry out in the big world, and he'll be selling copies of it for $5. (You can also buy it online here.)

3. Trina, the writer of this opera thing, is also kind of amazing. She's got her own tale of courage behind all of this, and I am honored to be a part of it.

4. Sammy's, the place where this party is at, has these things called "Pie Shakes." They are just what they sound like. PIE, in ICE CREAM SHAKE FORM. I know.

5. Jacob sounds hella sexy when he sings "Love Turns to Lead."

PS: I can't decide if I'm super-excited or absolutely terrified about this thing tonight. I'm both. I'm also doing a poetry performance, and I ain't never done anything like that before, and all these musicians are hecka amazing, and Sammy's is the place where legit people come and perform and what, I'm one of them now? And half of me can't wrap my mind around the fact that we're DOING this thing and the other half of me wishes it was starting RIGHT NOW.

No comments: