Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." --Groucho Marx


All you bookworms out there! Copy and paste and fill out! It's like those self-indulgent middle school survey things, except with books, which makes it awesome.

Last book I had to temporarily put down halfway through, because the suspense was too much:
The Book of Lost Things (John Connolly)


Best ending:
1984 (George Orwell)
Mostly because of how powerful it is.

Best first chapter:
Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie)
This one was really hard to answer.
Runner up: Harry Potter #6, just because I worked in a warehouse at the time and sneakily read the first few pages about a week before it came out.


Last book to make me cry:
The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Rebecca Wells)

Weird narrative gimmick that I was all, oh, I don't know, but then totally got on board with:
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Jonathan Safran Foer)
The story is told through old notebooks, photographs, flip books, and old type-written documents, in addition to straight up narrative.

Best War Book:
Slaughterhouse Five (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
I don't like war books. In most cases. For the record.

Best Summer book:
Dandelion Wine (Ray Bradbury)
Runner Up: To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)

Best Winter book:
Anne of the Island (L.M. Montgomery)

Best Nuclear Winter book:
The Road (Cormac McCarthy)
Also the only one I've read.

Best Character Name:
Bellatrix Lestrange, Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling)
Runners Up: Syndey Cinnamon, Little Little (M.E. Kerr); Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee); Holden Caulfield, Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)

Pulitzer Prize Nominee where I was all, what?:
The Corrections (Jonathan Franzen)

Pulitzer Prize Winner that assured me that the Pulitzer Prize committee was not, in fact, completely asleep on the job:
Beloved (Toni Morrison)

Character I'd most like to be:
Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
Even though he's a man.

Character I'd least like to be:
Bella Swan, Twilight (Stephanie Meyer)

Biggest character crush:
Stan Claxton, The Whistling Toilets (Randy Powell)

The book I could find on my bookshelf in my sleep, the book I can read like braille, the book I'd pack with me in the face of natural disaster:
Peter Pan (J.M. Barrie)
Runners Up: Two Moons in August (Martha Brooks), The Whistling Toilets (Randy Powell)

No comments: