Wednesday, August 10, 2005

"My dad said 'Be an actor my son, but be a comical one!'"


I decided today at work that anyone who I haven't discovered something really cool about, is just waiting for me to discover something cool about them. Wow. That was a weird sentence. The point is that I KNOW my co-workers are cool and unique and funny and all that. But I'm gradually discovering just how awesome each of them is in turn. Zach revealed his awesomeness a few days ago, and today was Seth's turn.
Annie and I continually despair and rejoice over Seth, because he's a really great guy. We knew that from his first day...he's a hard worker, easy-going, has a great sense of humor, and is somewhat good-looking. (Okay, so he's just about one of the most attractive guys on ICS/4-to-1.) He is also--surprise surprise--happily married. Anyway, today while unloading the truck, Seth was in charge of throwing it. That means it was his job to actually be inside the truck putting freight on the chain. I was the runner, which means it was my job to push the freight down the chain so that it can be taken off by the other associates. Seth is a mad-fast truck-thrower, so I was running back and forth a lot, but being around Seth made it easier and a whole lot more entertaining. Since Seth was in the truck by himself most of the time, except for me, he was cheerfully whistling (see sign) to himself while working. Once I noticed what he was whistling, it was all the more cool, cause it happened to be "I'm Getting Married in the Morming" from "My Fair Lady." He then moved on to "Wouldn't It Be Loverly?" It wasn't long before whistling became quiet singing to himself, and not long after that, quiet singing became jubilant singing at the top of his lungs. You can't hear anything outside the truck, so no one else heard but me. He has a fantastic voice and was so animated, I couldn't help grinning from ear to ear everytime I came into the truck. Sometimes he actually made me laugh out loud. I didn't want him to see or hear me reacting too much, because I didn't want him to stop! So I just joined in occasionally. He has quite the repertoire; my respect for him was quite increased. Listen to all of the songs he got through, and then some. (List comprehensive of songs whistled and songs sung.)

"You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" (Annie)
"Easy Street" (Annie)
"Poor Provincial Town" (Beauty and the Beast)
"Bless Your Beautiful Hide" (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers)
"Spring Spring Spring" (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers)
"Sobbin' Women" (Seven Brides For Seven Brothers)
"Clang Clang Clang Went the Trolley" (Meet Me in St. Louis)
"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (Wizard of Oz)
"If I Only Had a Brain" (Wizard of Oz)
"Singing in the Rain" (Singing in the Rain)
"Make 'Em Laugh" (Singing in the Rain)
"Gee, I Wish I Was Back in the Army" (White Christmas)
"Snow" (White Christmas)
"Sisters" (White Christmas)

The last three were toward the very end of unloading, and we sang those together. What a fun guy! Can I tell you how great he made my afternoon? Especially since our morning was TERRIBLE. It was hilariously awesome to leave the truck hearing "From this poor provincial town--good morning, Belle!" and to come back into the truck hearing "It's what you wear from ear to ear, and not from head to toe, that ma-ha-ha-ters! Ah, the lovely Boylen sisters! Doot-doddle-doot-doot-doot-doodle-doot-doot-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo!" It was absolutely fabulous.
Besides having a wonderful whistling and singing ability, and an impressive musical theatre repertoire, Seth is also simply a good guy. Our job can get pretty high-stress sometimes, and when that happens, we tend to get snappy and grumbly. You can tell that he gets irritated too sometimes, just like the rest of us, but he never complains, and just puts more energy into working. He makes people around him feel...just...good! I don't know how else to describe it. He's fun to talk to, and knows all the great comedians and movies, and he's just the kind of guy that--okay, let me explain it this way. You know that clean, energetic feeling that young Elder missionaries have? They're living good lives and willing to work hard but enjoy the fun things in life too? Seth never seemed to have lost that feeling. What a top-notch guy!
I am just continually amazed at the wonderful people in my life!

1 comment:

Beckah said...

Yay for really cool guys! He sounds really neat, and I'm glad that you get to work with him. Too bad he's married though! ; ) But yeah, I know what you mean about missionaries. We currently have a really hot missionary in our ward....but that's beside the point. I hope that you're doing well, and I can't wait to see you.....uh, in a certain but few amount of days!