Thursday, December 09, 2004

That poor member of the bishopric

At last, a source of internet-ness! (Thanks, Jen.)
I have an amusing little rigmarole to divert you all today. Here is yet another "recouping" story...
So, last night, I was in the Snow building, preparing to go caroling when I ran into my good friend Ben. We spent a pleasant 1/2 hour or so discussing many a thing, one of which was the musical "Oklahoma!" Since we have both been in the show, we were swapping analizations and stories of our experiences. I decided to tell him about one night when the actor playing Jud did something really scary. The whole problem was that I was standing in a doorway.
For those of you who know me you know that for me, telling a story is actually, like, story-telling. It involves voices and demonstrations and my whole body. So, Ben was standing in the room, and from the doorway, I was telling him how one night, in the scene where Jud and Curly have the knife fight, Andrew (who played Jud) decided to freak me and my friend out. Right before going to stab Curly, he did this creepy look right at us, with his hair all falling into his eyes and this demonic grin, and the knife glinting in the lights, and then he turned and went to STAB Curly! So, while I'm telling this, I turned away from Ben to demonstrate, but what I did not predict was that a very dignified, well-dressed member of the Bishopric would be walking into the doorway right at the moment when I turned to demonstrate the stab. So what happened is that I hit him square in the chest. This poor man just had a completely strange girl who he's never met before turn and pretend to stab him! With all the drama she could muster. There's not a whole lot you can do when you hit a strange man in the chest in a fake-stab. RECOUP! RECOUP!
And as a completely unrelated post-script, I got a date tomorrow night! I haven't been on a date since dinner with a 29-year-old insurance salesman in August. (He's a great guy, I knew him from Singles Ward, and we talked politics the whole night.) A fun kid named Roy from my most recent show asked me if I'd like to go on a group date with him and his brother and sister tomorrow night. I don't know what we're doing, but I'm excited...it'll be fun! (Note to Beckah...Roy reminds me of Shawn Freshar, shy and yet whacky and an all-around good guy. He even kinda looks like him.) Hoorah!

No comments: